April 06, 2013

F- Freezing and Fetlocks

We've received most of our wintry weather in February and March, that seems to be how it goes for Colorado.  Freezing weather can bring a decent amount of snow in the winter but this year and years past we've not had the amount of snow we usually get.  We are in a MAJOR drought and it's scary as we get into "fire" season again.
 
 
Horses certainly seem to enjoy the cooler weather; a lot more than their human friends.  I know that during the freezing days I would come home from the barn and be cold to the core.  I whipped out the electric heating blanket many times!!!
 
 
One thing I've noticed with Dani more than other horses I've ridden is that as the winter approached she got more fur on her fetlocks.  Not sure if most horses get as much as she does or if it's mainly because I have not trimmed them, I've just let them be.  I probably will trim them once it's a little bit more consistent in the warm weather department.  You can compare the video of her in the snowy weather to this picture above when I first brought her home.  She definitely has more fuzz or feathers now.  Is it really called feathers if it's not full like a Clydesdale or Friesians feathered fetlocks???  Hmm.  I'm glad for now that the freezing temperatures are mostly behind us for a while.  Dani won't have to contend with frozen snowballs on her hooves for a few months!
 
 
Anyways, I'll have a post soon about trimming her fetlocks.  I want to keep a good amount of hair on there for protection but trim it up a bit to keep it neat and tidy.  Same with hairs under her chin and jaw that often get caught in the nose band of the bridle.  I'm still going back and forth about whether I want to do a very small bridle path or not.....
 
Anyways, there's my post for letter F!!

6 comments:

Kalin said...

My horse, a Quarter Horse, as fairly long hair on the fetlocks. :) I only trim his bridlepath, then his whiskers and ears, but I only trim those two things lightly. Unless his hair gets so long it just looks bad, I'll probably leave it. :))
Kalin from Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

Reddunappy said...

Where I am in SW Washington, I have to keep them trimmed so they dont get mud scald. They dry out a lot quicker when the hair is cut short.

SheMovedtoTexas said...

My TB will grow a lot of fetlock hair, but I keep them clipped for easy cleaning.

Kim Fry said...

My boys both have very furry fetlocks and Blackie gets really long billy goat hairs under his chin. Last year I didn't trim the billy goat hairs (he's 30 and mostly retired now so I wasn't doing much with him) and you could actually see them in his shadow.

Christie Maszki said...

I'll probably trim her fetlocks up near the end of may or so, and her jaw hairs. She's not too fuzzy there but enough that I feel like I catch her hairs latching the noseband!!

Unknown said...

Don't do a bridle path!!!! just be careful when you put on a bridle so you don't pull her hair, and theres no need for a bridle path!! My ponies was trimmed a long time ago, and her mane is all the way down to her shoulders, and growing it out is the ugliest thing ever. I hate it, but I want to grow it out!