April 01, 2013

A- Another Barn???

So I'm going to try this blog challenge where you blog about something starting with each letter of the alphabet, A to Z.  I think that Sundays you don't have to post a letter, so I can continue my serene sunday posts.
Today I will post about A-nother barn.  We'll see how well I can do this challenge!  LOL.
 
So there is a barn that is two miles from my house, if even that!  I've known about it and seen it from a distance just never went there to check it out.  I figured why not, the cost is the same I'm paying at the barn I'm at now and honestly I have been looking around a little online to see if there is something closer and either the same price or cheaper.

 
The unfortunate thing about this barn is that there are just shed rows and runs.  I'm fine with the shelters, it's a shed just like what Dani has in her field but my issue is the runs.  That's all they have.  There is not turn out, no field.  I'd be fine with a smaller paddock, even if it didn't have grass, just something to give her space and the freedom to move around, roll, whatever she wants.  I don't think Dani would like this place even though it was clean and the horses were cared for quite well.


They have a brand new indoor arena, they do therapeutic riding here and when those lessons aren't occurring the arena is open for the boarders.  There is also a very nice sized outdoor arena.  It's not lit in the evenings but the indoor is and after 6pm I think it's available so winter time riding would be doable.  I was able to talk with a boarder while there waiting for the owner.  She said she loves the place and gets to see her horse more often.  She was letting him run around the arena for exercise.  I asked how he was being in just a run and she said he was fine but she makes sure to get out there everyday and since it's so close she can easily do that.

 
The facility had nice storage for hay, feed and tack.  Nothing spectacular but it was sufficient.  The footing was good in the arenas and even in the round pen.  I liked those facilities and honestly if there was just a little bit more area for the horses I'd have been sold.  This barn is adjacent to Palmer Park where there are tons of trails to ride Dani on and heck, it's only a few minutes from my house.


 
I really can't justify it though.  Sure Dani has a 10 acre pasture and this summer may have a smaller paddock due to the owners needing to get the horses off the pasture for a bit, and because of my concern for laminitis and spring grass.  I could get here every day to play with Dani but the only time she can run about will be for short times when I'm there and it will just we her in the arena alone???  I don't think she'd be happy and I fully believe in the most natural life for a horse.  Having 10 acres is not what makes her happy.  Even just half an acre, as long as she has room to roam, roll and mingle with her buddies where there aren't metal railings between them. 
 
I don't know am I being too picky? Please know that I'm not saying any of these horses aren't taken care of. I know they are and their owners love them, I also know that research has shown that horses that are confined can develop vices and other health related issues. I only see Dani a few hours out of the day, the rest of the time I think of as her time to chill and be a horse. Most boarding facilities around here are like this...but does that mean the horses are really happy?

6 comments:

S. Lauren said...

I don't think you're being picky. Horses enjoy pasture time, grazing, and roaming around. It's understandable that you're not saying those horses aren't cared for, but everyone has different priorities with their needs. Either have her live closer or have a longer drive but her on 10 acres? It's what matters to you and your heart is just saying that Dani would enjoy pasture a lot more.

Unknown said...

It has been SO HARD for me to get used to Colorado boarding. In both Texas and Virgina it would be almost impossible to find a barn that DOESN'T turn your horse out for you at least 6-8 hours a day. When I moved here I found I had to pay extra for that??? When I first moved though I didn't want Trinity out 24/7 so to have a stall/run and pasture was impossible. Right now she is at a barn like you just described and seems happy. I would LOVE for her to have more of a pasture life though. It is just 90% more impossible to find up near the city.

L.Williams said...

Moving horses is so hard. I think you aren't picky, we care about our horses and want the best for them!

Kalin said...

You can never be TOO picky for your horse. I board at a farm with over 35 acres, with trails all around it, running creeks, a barn with a stall for every horse, that they can go in anytime, people are always out there caring for the horses and I know my horse is well cared for. It's also three miles away from me. I am blessed! My horse is out in pasture all day, but if he wants to go inside the barn the door is always open. It's such a natural place for the horses!!!
Kalin from Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

Christie said...

Lauren, I agree, the boarding situations in Colorado are depressing! With all the open space I'm surprised there are mainly stalls and runs. I'm on the lookout but not ready to move her anytime really soon. She's happy and healthy, that's all I can ask for.

Kalin the farm you have that is so close to you sounds like a dream! I would love to have a place like that near me! I'll just have to wait until I purchase land though from the looks of it!

Kalin said...

Christie: It really is amazing!!! I'm such great friends with the people too. I've never really had any horsey friends other than some family about 12 or so hours away from me in another state, so when I got my horse less than a year ago I only ever rode with my mom, it's so nice to have people to ride with now. Makes riding a lot more fun! I think I'm going to do the alphabet thing too, looks fun!
Kalin from Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com