August 08, 2012

Phoenix

I got to meet a very nice 10 year old chestnut Arabian mare today (the pictures below were taken by the owner and sent to my phone, I didn't really have time to take pictures while working with her).  The owner had three horses, two were in their twenties and she just didn't have the time that the younger mare needed.  The other horses were more pasture pets for her.  One was a chestnut mare and the other was a grey (white) gelding.  Gorgeous boy!

Phoenix was very nice looking and seemed to be in good weight.  She didn't interact with me too much, she smelled me but wasn't exactly too sure of me.  She enjoyed getting groomed and was a perfect doll for hoof picking.  She wanted one hing leg back sooner than I was ready but she wasn't reactive and upset over her feet being touched.  I've learned that's an area that freaks me out, I need a horse that is good with having their feet handled and she was good in my opinion.  There were small children that were running around the area and she seemed interested in them, obviously she knew them and was comfortable, perhaps if she got to know me she would react with the same interest.

We brought her out of her pen and I went to get my saddle, lungeline etc.  I wasn't sure I was going to ride her yet since it had been a year.  The one lady who rode her a lot has said she was really good under saddle and didn't shy much at all.  Sometimes on the bridges she would jump a little and snort.  We got the saddle on with little fuss but the girth was too long for her!!  Nope, not gonna ride!  I was tight enough to move her around but not to ride her.

We had issues with the bridle, she moved her head away and stepped away.  After a couple tries we go the bridle on and she was calm as we tried to adjust all the straps.  The bridle was way too big!  The big really low in her mouth.  We decided to take it off and just lunge her with the halter.  I asked the younger gal to lunge her first and watched her move.  She was very spirited and raced around in a circle.

When I lunged her she raced around a bit but I eventually got her to a trot and even a walk at some points.  I changed direction a couple times and had success with that.  Her owner was pleased with how she did since she hadn't been worked with in a year or more.  I actually was too but I'm unsure. 

She's a nice mare and seemed tolerant and seemed to have potential, she slightly calmed down during the lunging but was quite warm afterwards, she was pretty excited.  I think I may have Laurie take a look at her.  She has tack that might fit and perhaps she would be willing to back her.  Perhaps I should not consider a horse that is this rusty.  I don't want to get hurt and I don't want someone else to get hurt either.  The one gal did say that she wouldn't ride her regularly but when she did Phoenix would pick up again pretty quickly.  Perhaps after a few weeks of regular working with her she'd be at a good place?

Another thing about her is her name, Phoenix.  Apparently when she was born she was a still birth and they rejuvenated her.  Also her stripe on her face looks like a phoenix bird in profile.  I thought that was really cool and wouldn't see a need to change her name in the least.  I need to think on it and discuss her with Laurie.  At least she is right in Falcon so it wouldn't be a long trip or time commitment to have Laurie take a look at her.  She is about 14 hands and I wonder if that is just a bit too small for me, I'm still working on losing some pounds I'm 5'4" and yadda yadda pounds, hopefully I can get 30 of that off by the end of the year.  Hmm.  Lots to ponder.  I will hopefully have a couple more horses to meet this weekend.  I think for me seeing a lot of horses is becoming a good experience and helping me figure out what I want in a horse...even if it takes me longer to find "the one".


1 comment:

Reddunappy said...

She is very cute.
You are not real tall, she would probably be fine.

I love the flaxen mane.

She is 10, if she has had a lot of training in the past, I wouldnt worry about it.

Arabians tend to be a more reactive horse than say a stock horse. They move a lot different under saddle to.