June 12, 2014

Throwing in the Towel--for the day

Painting day....one of many....has arrived!  I got suited up with a painting suit, respirator to protect my lungs from VOC's and a painters sock for my head.  Don't I look awesome?

After struggling with connections for the spray paint gun I got everything connected and working with the compressor and was on my way.  Wow.  Am I doing something wrong?  Not much paint is spraying out.  I fiddled with the knobs, adjusted air flow and read the instructions again, etc etc.

My spray painting should be making this faster yeah?  Not so much.  Eventually I got a decent coat on the trailer and then the sprayer clogged so I broke it down and cleaned it.  I decided I'd try my hand at paint rolling.  I removed the painters tape from the roof since most of it was peeling off and falling down.  This Exterior paint is not getting good reviews from me at all!!  It was either not sticking well or in one area it peeled off the elastomeric roof coating!!!  Ugh!!!  I'll have to repair that with several layers of coating to get it back in shape.

After going to Home Depot for some new rollers I worked on the front of the trailer since it had the least amount of paint.  For one coat, the trailer is starting to look nice.  I still have another gallon of primer to work with

My Bondo job on the screw holes definitely leaves something to be desired but sanding and sanding was taking too long and I wasn't getting the smooth seamless surface I desired.  Oh well, I just want it to be water tight and it is.  So what there are some areas where you see globs of stuff.  The Devil's in the details and I am just too tired to make this perfect.  When I sanded there were some places that the mesh started showing through and I don't want that either.  Perhaps to some it would seem I'm being lazy and maybe I am but I simply don't care if the surface is perfect and smooth.  I want a nice protective layer of paint and I want all drilled holes that are no longer in use to be closed up from water.  Boom!  There we go!

It was a longer day than expected due to the issues with connecting the air sprayer and it not functioning like I thought it should.  Then of course my old roller head broke (circa 2007?), after I came back with new rollers for it from Home Depot.  I did the best I could with the broken and wobbly head. Then I threw in the towel for the day.  I'll get a new roller head and start anew tomorrow with rollers and brushes to get a second coat of primer on the trailer.

There were a couple bumps in the road and it was a long day but tomorrow will be better.  Going to bed early!


Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Wow. That sounds a lot like my struggles from when I tried to spray paint my wood fence every summer. There's an art to using those power sprayers, but I don't know what it is. It seems you spend more time unclogging and cleaning than it would take to just hand paint everything. That's what I ended up doing... until I had to go to The Home Depot because my brushes and rollers were no long usable.

lytha said...

please don't stop, i'm loving this.

and i'm curious if you spent less money overall in restoring one than buying a non-steel trailer.

i know that while horse prices are low, trailers seem to continue to stabilize.

Terry said...

Yikes! And I thought painting would be the fun part!