January 21, 2016

Been Cooped Up

One thing on the property we'd contemplated was keeping the chicken coop area as is.  Well, upon closer inspection it wasn't quite the condition we expected.  A lot of the wood was rotten and the security of the roof and doors was lacking.  The enclosure also wasn't too our liking since we want the whole thing wrapped with sturdy wire (chicken wire does nothing for predators) and we want it all at least 6 foot tall.


One warmer day between New Years and when we would leave for a friends wedding Steve and I took on the task of removing all the parts and pieces.  We had to dissemble the wood and take the metal off (for the Durham recycling center).  It was a task since it was all nailed rather than screwed so we had to pry apart the various supports.


The chicken wire was stapled and folded over itself many times in areas so it was a pain to get apart but we eventually found a routine that worked quickly.


We created our large piles of wood and metal and then arranged it in order for the Durham dump station.  We would have to toss the wood first then the metal so we made sure the metal was at the bottom of the truck bed.  


 The area is so much more open now and allows a nicer view from the window.  We still want chickens but have a particular coop and location in mind but that won't be for a bit.




3 comments:

Mrs Shoes said...

You won't believe this, but earlier today i wrote about chicken coops and your blog in the same sentence & now here you are writing about your chicken coop. We must be on the same wavelength today.

Christie Maszk said...

I saw your comment about the horse trailer conversion to a coop. That's awesome I'll have to keep tabs on your progress with your coop design since I know little of chickens

Christie Maszk said...

I saw your comment about the horse trailer conversion to a coop. That's awesome I'll have to keep tabs on your progress with your coop design since I know little of chickens