March 29, 2013

The Mane Task

I've been a bad blogger lately (my last post was Serene Sunday and those posts are so simple!) but this week has just been a little atrocious.  I can't really explain it all but I will in time, I promise!  Nothing related to Dani so no worries!  Anyhow, I've not gone to spend much time with Dani.  I've done checks and quick grooms; I've run my hands down her legs and checked for heat or swelling etc.  She has received a couple nicks on her inside near hind leg, not sure what from, but it's nothing serious even though there was blood.  She wasn't lame either.  I'll be having the farrier out soon to see if perhaps she needs a trim or there is an imbalance with her hooves.  It's been 8 weeks since her last trim but her feet are looking fine just on thrush watch because of all the mud!
 
 
Anyways, one day I went out to groom her and decide to just take my time and untangle her mane perfectly.  A lot of times I take the stiff brush and run it over the mane to get the big tangles out and honestly for the most part she keeps a neat mane for being nice and long and being on pasture 24/7.  I sprayed her mane with the conditioning spray and started at her withers with my hands and began untangling from the tips of the hair.  I used my mane comb as well and did small sections at a time.  I resprayed a few times and made sure to get the under layer of hair as well since she has a pretty thick mane.  Soon when it's warmer I'll give her a good bath and finish with a good conditioner, letting it soak into the hair shaft but the weather is still to up and down in Colorado right now so I'm not quite comfortable with doing a full on bath. 
 
I then did the same job with the tail but that is much easier since the hairs are thicker and stronger.  Dani has a pretty luxurious mane for me not having put major effort into maintenance.  I know the Freisian has his braided and each braid is in a little soft bag, same with his tail.  He has fantastic hair!  I don't want to go that far with Dani but I love maintaining her long thick tresses as best I can.  I don't know if I even want to put a bridle path in her mane since her hair parts so nicely where it should. 
 
 
She's such a beauty but then again I'm pretty biased!


3 comments:

Camryn said...

Nah, it's not just because your biased. She is a beauty :)

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

Definitely not just because your biased! She is stunning, I have to say I am pretty jealous of her mane!

Kalin said...

She is a beauty! And I must say, I am so happy to see someone with a horse that has a LONG mane that doesn't just let it get tangled! Drives me bonkers! My Quarter Horse's (his name is Red, he's in my profile picture) was a slight rescue case, and he had less than an inch of mane in September 2012 when I got him, now his mane is over five inches long and I always keep it so neat because I'm so prideful of it! haha!