October 09, 2014

20 Questions

Here are some questions I found on Cash’s Steppin Up Blog.  She found 10 at one site and 10 at another.  It’s fun to answer this stuff so why not!




1. Is your horse spooky or bombproof? 

Dani is somewhere in between.  Her biggest issue is scary sounds.  For the most part she is pretty sensible and thinks things through.  Her spooks are more a start and stare type which I certainly like compared to spinning or running off


2. Does your horse have a long or short stride?

Shorter stride, at least that’s how it feels her walk is very active and her trot can be jolting but we are working on it.


3. Describe your current barn in 3 words? 
Peaceful, caring, pasture


4. If you could switch barns, would you?
Only if I found one really close to my house or had to move or was bringing my mare home to my own barn (someday!)

5. What is your favorite brand of breeches? 
Tuffrider


6. How many blue ribbons do you have? (Red if you live in Canada or Britain). 
None.  I don’t do competitions

7. How many saddle pads do you own?
I think I own around 5 saddle pads.  I’ve tried a few and sold ones I didn’t like.  Currently I use a felt pad and a pretty cover blanket for my western saddle.  Still have another one that I’m hanging onto and then I have my regular English green pad with a slip pad underneath for my dressage saddle.


8. Is your horse your phone background/lock screen?
I tend to change it a lot. Dani is on there often!


9. Do you go trail riding often?
Not yet but hope to very soon!  I may be going on a ride off the property with M sometime soon



10. Favorite horsey movie? 
Hidalgo perhaps? Dreamy man and pretty horses….can’t complain



And another set of questions found on Chasing the Dream!


1. If your horse was a person, who would they be? (you can generalize personality if you can’t think of someone). 
I'm not ever someone to really pay attention to stars so I'll just generalize Dani.  She's inquisitive, smart and responsive.  She aims to please but certainly has moments where she will NOT do something and you have to argue smartly with her.  You have to be fair with her, she dislikes anything she finds unfair.  She is dominant and will test that with you but will respect you if you show her you are boss and then she's happy to be with you.  She's pretty laid back most of the time and pretty easy to work with.  She can sometimes be like "That was a hell of a thing."




2. What is one (or two…or five) piece(s) of equipment you CANNOT live without. 
Rope halter and 14 ft lead


3. When did you start riding/ what discipline?  
I started when I was 8 and rode huntseat

4. Do you have a barn dog? If so, what breed? 
Nope.  My dogs have been to the barn but they are not very horse savy.  The new barn I'm at the owner has a large mastiff female.  She's very sweet and nice to be around but I don't like the slobber effect.  LOL

5. Do you like doing stalls or nah? 
I do, and I miss caring for Dani myself but I know she is happier being on pasture 24/7.  Someday I'll be back to caring for her myself when she's in my own backyard.


6. What treat(s) does your horse go nuts over?
Any!  I rarely give her treats because she won’t leave me alone afterwards and will wiggle her muzzle into every pocket


7. If you've switched disciplines, why? If not, also why.
I ride more western now.  Honestly I like the security and comfort, I feel safer doing faster gaits in the western at this time plus more places to put saddle bags for when I do trail rides.  I do like my dressage saddle and find I can feel the horse better and it’s great for training lateral movements etc.


8. What is your least favorite discipline and why?
I’m not into bucking bronco rodeo stuff.  I don’t see the point in riding a bucking horse.  I feel bad for the horse and think the riders have a few screws loose.  It doesn’t go with the natural horsemanship philosophy and working with the horse to have a partnership.  I can't stand that cowboy up, male machismo type attitude.


9. Who is currently your favorite rider/trainer? 
Julie Goodnight, she is awesome


10. What is your BIGGEST pet peeve regarding horses? 
I think when people are closed minded about how things are supposed to be done.  There are many ways to reach and end and we can always learn from each other.  Even if we disagree on how to work with a horse on a certain thing we need to just live and let live.



1 comment:

Terry said...

Your pet peeve is the same as mine. I get really tired of the "if you don't do it my way you're a bad bad owner" thing. And the one size fits all thing. Like all horses have to be barefoot. And all horses should never be in blankets, etc. Hey, they're individuals with different needs. One sizes doesn't fit all.