April 22, 2016
Little changes around Geek Acres
The Wormhole is composed of three smaller areas separated by gates. With how we manage the horses it only makes sense to open it up a little bit. We plan to keep the fencing around the barnyard in tact so we can close it up if needed for riding one horse outside of that area. You can refer to the diagrams here
We still have the drainage issue but it's something that will take some time and money to fix, gutters and a french drain will not be cheap or quick to accomplish. For now at least the rains we've had haven't been too bad and standing water has receded quickly. Steve and I removed the fencing between the riding area and the other part of the "Wormhole". Where the temporary white wire fence is located will be where we put in more wooden fencing to complete that area. In a way it will give me a little larger enclosed area to ride in and will make a less compartmentalized sacrifice area for the horses.
We attached the gate post to the barn for more support since we removed the fencing, plus before it was never attached and that just didn't make sense to me. Hopefully you can see in the picture below that the boards just extend from the fence a little bit but don't meet up with the barn. Darn, I really thought I took a good "before" picture. Will have to be better about that!
Anyways it feels so open now and the horses are already making different paths as they walk to the other areas of the wormhole. The next plan is to move the fence behind the run-in shed out a bit so that we don't have an area where a horse can get cornered...this is the area that most likely led to Chance getting kicked in the chest.
Also in Westeros we've begun working on the gravel pit that surrounded a rose bush. We'll remove the gravel and larger rocks and then fill in holes and spread grass seed in this area. The gravel was used to fill the holes from the wooden fence posts we removed so it served a good purpose....aka no injured ponies! The rest of it we'll utilize for the perimeter of a small dog run we'll need to erect before I begin my job...10 hour days gone won't be good for my older boys.
Throughout all the fields there are some large rocks that jut out and interfere with the lawn mower. We are slowly working on getting those removed and the holes filled. It's gonna be a process.
Lastly with spring has come the blooming of plants and weeds. I spent a good part of a day cleaning out the beds at the front of the house. There were many weeds but also offshoots of whatever shrubs are planted there too. It was a crazy mess. It looks much better now. Still have to pull out old mulch and rock and replace with fresh mulch. Then I plan to use some pretty edge stones for the perimeter. I may pull additional landscape plants out that seems a bit hap-hazardously planted and get some pretty border flowers going.
All in time! It feels good to get little things accomplished!