The horses will live in the wormhole for a few months as we'll be working on the pastures extensively. We wanted to this fall but just didn't have the time or equipment. We sprayed this fall for broad leaf plants using our effective PasturePro that did such a good job on Curly dock last fall...though we do have a few stragglers. We just have to keep the weeds in check so we need to do it to all the fields once more especially The Shire.
The sprayer makes quick work when we want to get the entire field done rather that spot just a few areas. It's great to have options.
The field onions are back with a vengeance and we did a soil test that showed we needed A LOT of lime which will help combat their growth and encourage thicker grass. We'll have to do several spreading sessions over the next year to get where we need to be since we can't lime all at once. It's better in the fall too from what I've read since it takes several months to work into the soil.
We have our seed and pellet spreader so Steve spent some time spreading lime in Gallifrey where I've concentrated on spreading the manure for right now. We have to get the rest of the fields done but that will happen a bit faster next weekend when we get our new toy!!!! A mini tractor!!!
It's hard when Steve travels to get the teamwork thing done that makes work that much faster. At least with some of these tools it's getting easier for me to do things alone. We've discovered that our Newer can't handle old compost that is very soggy. It's very much like clay. We'll have to work on that by spreading more fresh manure and by using the front loader to mix the compost and then try to keep it dry before spreading. It's a an art I guess!!