August 08, 2026

Dani Memorial Model

 I commissioned a Dani portrait model last fall....it took a really long time and with very little communication from the artist so it was a very frustrating process to me.  I also felt like this person just didn't really care....it was just another model horse to them.

Upon receiving the model there are two things that really don't work for me.

One, is my fault, the model choice.  I think there probably was a Breyer better suited to represent Dani, I don't know why I chose the model.  I thought at one time the face was Dani?

Two, the color is too dark.  I sent tons of pictures and even emphasized the pictures that represented her color the best.  Winter photos often show her darker so I made sure to clarify.



I wasn't happy but I sat with the model for a while seeing if I was just annoyed at the process.  Nope, it wasn't just the process.  This just didn't feel or look like Dani.  I think the details to all her little markings were spot on but the coat color was way too dark and the model....again that one's on me.

I did some searches on Etsy instead of the model horse remake groups.  I found a lady that did memorial horses.  Custom made models from your photos (STL 3D prints with PLA). I chatted with her about the process and decided to move forward.  I sent photos off and crossed my fingers.

ANW Fine Art Creations

I cried when I opened the package. I was blown away with the care, details and empathy with which this whole process was conducted. I feel like the artist truly cared. The communication was fantastic with each step, the STL model approval, the nearly finished painting; all of it showed that she cared about what she was doing. 

The packaging and the card on the inside of the package all made this feel like the artist understood the true weight of what this "simple" model meant to me. My Dani is gone from this world and all I have are memories and mementos. This model is a beautiful memorial and looks just like her. 










I would highly recommend to anyone that wants a model of your horse, past or present....reach out to this artist. It looks like she may do other pets too....so I may be looking into that in the future as well.

I still haven't done anything with Dani's mane and tail aside from another bracelet that I had made. I do want to share that through SmilePoster a beautiful painting like portrait that can be made from a photo.  The favorite photo I have of Dani is slightly blurred, I just love the feel of it and it's so Dani.  I can hear her nicker greeting just looking at the photo.  This was a perfect use for that photo.  My Daenerys, I miss that mare everyday.




No comments: