March 20, 2023

Old post I never posted- Getting Dani up to Snuff Again

This is an OLD POST I never posted.....it should read months ago I began working with Dani


A few weeks months ago I began working with Dani on the lungeline.  She's not had the attitude I expected after so much time off.  She was great honestly and listened well and was calm.

I made sure the get her tack fitted right, wasn't sure if the girths I had would still fit since she's gone up and then down in weight.  The stirrups had been adjusted for me by a tack fitter since they'd always been so long and I need them fairly short to fit my short legs.

I added my stirrup turners again even though the tack guy had twisted the leather to turn the stirrups it still hurt my knees a bit. I got everything set with the tack and continued some ground work with Dani including getting her to come up to the mounting block which she was a good about.

 

The next time I went out to work with her I did only a little bit of ground work to check on her mindset and then I got up on her and rode around the barn.  We worked on some bends and turns and halts, nothing crazy.  She enjoyed it, at least it seemed like she did.  She likes being engaged and being with her human.

Another ride we went out to our little culdesac road and road up and down a bit.  We had Steve and Chance with us and our older dog.  Chance was really excited to be out and about and was prancing a bit in hand with Steve.  Then Chance spooked at our dog and blowing and snorting in the air.  Silly Arabian!  Dani just looked at them with curiosity.  

I'm happy that Dani retains what she learned and that even with over year off she is just about the same horse under saddle.  She's by no means perfect and there are things we can and will work on.  I still don't really see her going on long trail rides with me for several reasons.

  1. The trailering issues, I'd need to put a lot of work into getting her on the trailer and consistently too.  It's been about 7 years since she was last on a trailer.
  2. Her tender feet, how long can she last being ridden in boots on a rocky trail? Could she be prone to injury more easily?  Then what do I do miles away from home?
  3. If I take her out and about Chance will be left alone at the barn and he'll get upset like he does with her just down the road. I can't leave him like that for a whole day!

Since I'm looking for a third horse it makes sense to get a younger horse I can work with and go to training and clinics and do some trail riding when we are ready.  I'll have two horses that can stay home, content to chill and be ridden (Dani at least) around the property and neighborhood. It doesn't make sense to me to get an older companion horse while I try and take Dani places to ride with the issues stated above.

Can you tell I'm still conflicted though? She has such a great mind and is such a sweet horse.  I love her so much.  How did I find such a great horse for so cheap 10 years ago?

When I look at the horses advertised now with harsh bits and minimal training and a huge price tag I'm really shocked. I don't have a deadline to find a new horse and now that Dani is back under saddle and her feet are doing well so happy I can play with her. She's a great friend to spend time with, my future of horsing where I go out and about like I've wanted will come and I will be ready when it does! I'm so happy to be riding my Daenerys again.  She's such a good horse!

No comments: