December 08, 2021

Rusty Trailer- New Beginnings


We sold Rusty....I actually cried after he was gone.  We put a lot of work into him and had plans to haul Dani, a future horse at the time and perhaps a mule or donkey and do the overnight trips with the Kit Carson Riding Club in Colorado.  


We moved to NC and Rusty made the trip hauling a lot of our stuff.  And since then he's basically sat. Owning horse property has been so much work and I've been easily sidetracked from riding. I never got Dani successfully loaded so therefore plans to go to clinics or trail rides here just never happened.  Steve really hasn't had that much interest in riding and the one time he did ride Chance he fell off. Dani, loading in a trailer is still an issue and maybe one I'll be able to work on with her in the future but really I'm not sure I'm up for that.  I see riding her around here but loading her on a trailer is just not in the cards at this point.


Rusty has basically sat and been unused for many years.  For a couple years Steve has been telling me to sell him.  We'll buy another smaller trailer when we need to is his thought.  A smaller two horse trailer would be one that I can haul a single horse in easier than our big three horse one and go on rides with groups myself. So I power washed Rusty and took pictures to show his condition.  A lot of the paint had peeled off since I wasn't a professional metal painter so there was yet more rust. We got a ton of inquiries though! I was floored with the response! We bid farewell to Rusty.  Hopefully the next owner will get good use of him! 


I'm at the point in my life when I have a future trailer that needs repair I'll pay the ones who know how to repair it to do the work.  I'm reassessing where I am in my life and my horse life.  What do I want to do? Where do I want to go?

Stella our 2015 New Truck

Buddy was donated to Veteran's Association

We said goodbye to Buddy our GMC 2500 too since all of his rusty related issues finally caused the battery to have a short and not charge. He had non-working mirrors, no AC, and other electrical issues.  I ended up buying a 2015 Ford F250 named Stella.  She'll be our work horse and trailer hauler from this point forward.  It's so nice to be in a truck that has working dash gauges, windows, mirrors and A/C!!  It was hard to say goodbye to buddy too but I really like driving Stella!!

It's hard to look to the past and see what plans you had that did not come to fruition but it's best to learn and move on.....more on this in a later post! Buddy was sold for a decent amount and it went to a great cause.  Rusty will be with someone that will fix him up again and haul horses around!

1 comment:

lytha said...

Hi, I have been following the Rusty story since the start. I'm glad he got a happy end.

I have to tell you I have a horse and a donkeky and I cannot get either of them into a traile if there is an emergency, much less something fun to go to (no riding buddies, so no trailering buddies).

I did train my horse to step into a trailer, in 2016. He will do it, but in total sweat and panic. He needs practice with a buddy and I don't know anyone who has a trailer.

Thank God there are no natural disasters where we live. I would never need to evacuate a horse or donkey. However if my donkey were dying, she'll probably have to die here, cuz there's no way to get her on a trailer. That's just a donkey thing, as far as I know.

Best wishes to you, please keep blogging.

~lytha IN Seattle (at the moment, not Germany)