June 23, 2017

Rewiring the Barn

 Steve and I recently did some work in the barn.  Our hay room was always awkward to stack hay since I used the small human door to enter and feed from, as you see in the picture below.  Because the doors are across from each other, and we load the hay from the big doors we've always had difficulty trying to stack the hay while leaving a space by the small door for my feed bins and supplies.  Now we can load in hay from the big doors and have the human door stay closed while we stack the bales flush against a full wall.  We moved several light switches and sockets to that side of the hay room as well.


Our barn had all the switches to the lights in the hay room, meaning when I entered the tack room I had to go to the hay room to flip the switch.  Steve rewired all the switched and moved the boxes to more appropriate locations.  We now have the inner barn lights, stall lights and tack room switches in the tack room.  The exterior lighting and the hay room light can all be turned on from the hay room.  The next step will be to build a fence on that side of the barn to increase the wormhole (paddock area) into that space and feed the horses from there instead in the stall.  It doesn't matter where I feed them I just need to have the door I get the food and hay from be near their hay stations so that will work.


We also bought another fan so each stall has it's own and Steve placed sockets near the fans and hardwired them into a switch in the tack room.  Now we don't have extension cords running up in the rafters to work the fan!  It's so nice!  I really wonder why the lights were wired that way in the first place.  I love walking into the tack room and switching on a light....feels so fancy!  LOL


The horses of course had to supervise while we worked, the photo above I call "Steve juxtaposed with pony butt"  Hahahahaha.  There is always something to work on around here!

1 comment:

Mrs Shoes said...

You & Steve are a fabulous team!!