I HAVE A FJORD!!!
This is just totally awesome! Sigi is a great little addition and we've been really enjoying her the past couple months. She and Seamus have definitely become friends but surprisingly he's the boss. Dani was always the boss before, I guess I assumed a mare with two geldings would be the boss. She's the middle, Chance is still at the bottom....poor old man!
The color of Fjords is very unique. It's not a buckskin nor a dun that you would see on a quarter horse but a brown dun (Sigi's color that is). They come in other shades of dun like a yellow dun, a red dun, a gray dun (grulla looking to me). I think there are five recognized colors of Fjord. Five recognized colors of cute!
Sigi's mane was grown out from the typical Fjord mohawk. It flopped to one side and was certainly cute....many people keep the mane long. I decided I wanted to go for the Fjord cut and was told on a Fjord group that once the hair bends to one side you pretty much have to roach or just really short. Before we did the beauty work we needed to get the tail taken care of.
Mud and grit made a big tangle of the tail. It was the size of a football. I didn't want to cut any hair if I could avoid it so applied nearly a half to three-fourth of a cup (estimated) of the Manely Long Hair Polisher and Protector. This stuff I've had in the barn forever since it is awesome! If I kept up with it I would never have tangles in the horses manes.
Chance gets wicked tornado tangles in his long mane and this stuff makes it easy to detangle and keeps it detangled for a while. I just go too long between applications so eventually he gets tangled again....bad pony mom! This tail was going to put this stuff to the test! I was very pleased. After working the product in and combing out small sections from the bottom up I was able to detangle her tail in about 30-40 minutes with very little hair loss. Sigi was just loose in the track, no halter, no interest in piles of hay. She seemed to relish the spa treatment.
What a pretty and sweet girl she is, I think we found a great one!
Another day I set out to trim the mane up and see how short I'd need to go in order to get that hairs back up to standing straight.
The before pic.
The after.....but in need of some more trimming. The scissors I bought from recommendations on a Fjord hair styling group on Facebook were too big for my hand and were hard to work with. I'd have to find another set that work better for my tiny hands
I trimmed a little more....it's short but their hair grows fast I'm told. All done Sigi! Quick muzzle kiss and you can go back out with the boys!
I HAVE A FJORD!
Hehehehehe!
About 2 months later the mane had grown out a bit and was looking a little ragged. So it was probably time to do a slight trim again.
Still, she looks adorable....
Even with patches of dirt all over her....
I got a new pair of scissor for fetlock trimming and those worked very well for me indeed. She may grow a thicker mane but currently the width doesn't seem as wide as some horses I've seen pictures of. I'm fine with that, easier to trim. Just look at that stripe!
Working on getting the shape....I may need to have it taper more towards her forelock to really get an arch going.
She looks a little tidier now. It's been raining a lot and since we've been in a drought that rain is MUCH needed. Hence, muddy ponies. Now that her mane is trimmed again I need to trim up the boys bridle paths!! Anyhow, I will post more on the new pony and of course Seamus. Cooler weather ahead means more riding! I need to get a saddle that fits her so she's just been a pasture pet which is fine. I adore her and so does Steve!
WE HAVE A FJORD!!!! SQUEEE!!!






















No comments:
Post a Comment